Saturday, February 23, 2008

Learning Magic Loop and Figure 8 Cast-on and I've Got A Job!

Since my last blog post, I have learned a few new things with my knitting. It all started when I was at Far North Yarn Co. to check out yarns for some projects I have in mind. I have been seeing so many great sock yarns at the Ravelry site and was looking for something similar to the Socks that Rock yarns. I think I may have found something close. It's a Hand-dyed sock Yarn by Pagewood Farms. For some reason, the color for the picture is a bit off. I'm sure it may have something to do with the camera.

While I was winding my new yarn at Far North Yarn, there where knitters sitting around the project table, talking knitting. Someone was mentioning their frustration with double points and a discussion began about the Magic Loop technique. I decided to jump in to the conversation, eager to learn more about it. Turns out one of the ladies working at the shop actually teaches a Magic Loop class. She went ahead and showed me what it was. Magic Loop knitting is when you use long circular needles instead of double points and your project is split onto the 2 needles instead of 3, like with most dpn knitting. Needless to say, I ended up leaving also with a new set of addi Turbo Lace circulars #1 (32 inch). The tips are shaped a little differently then regular Turbos. After my quick lesson, I was told to come back with a pattern for my new yarn and she'd help me get started.

I had added the Boyfriend Sock Pattern to my favorites picks at my Ravelry site and decided to pick this one after noticing in the first few lines that the pattern was written with Magic Loop technique in mind. Another reason I liked this pattern was that it is a toe-up pattern and we'd had a conversation at Far North about toe-up patterns. That was enough for me to decide this it.

Well, I went right back to Far North with my new pattern, eager to get started, cast on the 24 stitches, with my usual long tail cast-on and was not sure what to do next. As I was asking for some help, I noticed the pattern mentions a figure 8 cast-on. "What the heck is that?"' I asked. Turns out that despite having 5 other knitters in the shop, no was exactly sure what it was. The closest we could find in any of the books, was the Turkish Cast-on, which may even be the same thing, but since I really wanted to do this one right, I decided to go home and look on the internet.

Found two websites that explained it, but after about 45 minutes of trying this over and over, I realized I was doing something wrong. Based off some of the comments about this pattern I'd read, I knew it couldn't possibly be this hard to figure out.
I googled Figure-8 Cast-on Magic Loop and found a very helpful site. And, as I suspected, it's very easy to do. Plus, it make a lovely seamless toe end.

Started knitting, happily, that night. It was so nice not to have dpn tips getting caught on stuff. I've almost gotten to the heel and I'm a little nervous to do this step. It's a short-row heel. I've done short rows before for felted mittens, where leaving a hole wasn't a big deal, but a little concerned about having that happen with a sock.

Now about the job. The principal of my children's school approached me last week and offered my a job at their school doing an all day indoor supervision/teachers aide position. I think the timing was just right for this. I have to admit that after 11 years as a stay at home parent, it can get a little monotonous. I'd been throwing around the idea of getting a part time job, but was trying to figure out how to work that in with getting the kids to and from school everyday. My husbands job doesn't work out well for either of these duties. I'd fantasized that I could work for Kay over at Far North while my kids were at school and leave just in time to pick the kiddo's up. Imagine getting paid to knit. I also imagined that I'd have to turn around and give the money all back to the shop for the yarn I'd be hoarding every week. Not what I'd call a negative, but maybe it would be to my husband. So, when I was offered this position, it made sense to seriously consider it. I'll be working 3 days a weeks until the end of the school year and actually getting paid to be at my children's school for a change. Figure I'll get some knitting done during breaks and at lunch time. Oh my god! Lunch time. I usually just forage through the fridge and cabinets for a so-called lunch. Now I'll actually have to put some thought into it. Should be interesting jumping back into the work scene.

1 comment:

Arctic Knitter said...

Wow - You're making some serious time on that sock! I think you'll find the short row heel will be fine - let me know. I think I'll have to try the Boyfriend sock for Wade. Any luck w/the STR yarn? I think you'll have to buy it online from them (Blue Moon Fiber Arts).

Very cool about the job - what a perfect deal! :0)