Monday, April 7, 2008

What's On My Needles







I'm still working on the Cashmere scarf that I cast-on at Tunnels Beach in Kauai. I've got just another foot and a half to go on it and then I'm going to design a matching hat with the remaining 3rd skein. Here's a few more pictures of me knitting my Cashmere Scarf in Kauai.

Note the ipod in my ears on the last picture. I was very much enjoying listening to Sticks and Stings with David Reidy. This was on our last day and while I was listening to his into-music,a butterfly fluttered by, matching the feel of the music perfectly.










Also, I'm still working on the Boyfriend socks. I had so much yardage with the Pagewood Farms Denali (450yds) that I've been able to knit very long socks. I've actually been knitting these at work. Yes, at work! While listening to David at Sticks and Strings, while on vacation, talking about knitting while working at school and talking about public knitting, I decided to give it a try at work. Now, my job at work is basically being a hall monitor, though, we all prefer to call it Roving Aide, here. I walk the main corridor at school and I also, help out teachers. Good kids. Boring job! Luckily, it's just a part-time job. David had mentioned that he keeps yarn in his pocket and knitting as he walks. Well, I figured as long as I'm not looking down the whole time while I walked, why not knit. It might also help that the principal is a knitter, too. The kids love it and several have asked me to show them how to knit socks. Maybe we'll get an after school class started. One of the teachers even plans on setting up knitting stations out in the hall so I can assist kids with their knitting. Even the little ones are very interested. And, when one of the boys asked me it I sell them, we used it as an opportunity to do some math to figure out how much I'd have to charge someone using an hourly wage plus cost of the yarn. $232.00 Too expensive, was the conclusion.


So, the last project on needles is a Fair Isles Hat, from Hats On, that I've only managed to only do 4 rows of. I'm using a borrowed set of circulars and starting to feel guilty about it. I think I may have to recheck at all the LYS's for a set of my own and return these needles to my very generous friend.

Future projects include a Diva Hat and Fetching, using the same local yarn from Rabbit Ridge Designs, in I used for my Diva hat. I now have 2 more skeins of sock yarn coming in the mail from Maui Yarns, so pretty sure that between the 4 different sock yarns I purchased on Ebay last month and these 2 new skeins, I'll be starting a pair of socks soon. I'm really leaning towards doing a set of Toe-Up Jaywalkers. Just have to figure out if I can knit and walk while doing these. Seems like everyone at Ravelry has done a pair, or at least they get talked about a lot in Podcasts.

Well, that's it for what's on my needles. I might post more about the Kauai trip, or maybe I'll finally have a finished project to share!

No comments: