Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Knitting on The Plane

I'm a sucker for the little touches. Lei's on the napkins, cups and even the plane(not a real one), so cute. Oh, and the free Maitai wasn't too bad either.


As I'd mentioned in a previous blog post, I decided to knit my Boyfriend Socks while traveling on the plane to Kauai. I'm not one who likes to pack a lot of carry-on items with me when traveling, and put a lot of thought into what I was riding along with. I decided to take theses socks and, just in case I finished them on the plane, I'd take along one skein of my cashmere along with the pattern for the Cabled Scarf from Plymouth.

Now, one thing both these patterns have in common is......cables. So, as I listened to Diva Knitting on my Ipod, I reached into my project bag to get my cable needle. It should of been in there, after all, I'd been using it while working on my 1st sock the previous day. Nope, nada, negative. Sigh!


My guess it that I must of left it at school while I was knitting during my break, in the library, with the most gorgeous view of the mountains.

This isn't the first time that I've had my knitting plans changed due to my forgetfulness, when I fly. On another recent flight to the lower 48, I was traveling alone and looking forward to knitting and listening to a real good book I'd downloaded from Audiobooks, Water For Elephants. Well, I'd forgot to lock my ipod and it had been playing in my purse. When I took it out to listen to, I only had about a quarter of the battery life left. Since then, I've been very careful to lock my ipod before putting back in my purse.

So, back to this trip, I decided to use my mechanical pencil to hold my cable stitches. That worked horribly slowly. Then I realized that I had the size 7 circular needles for the scarf that I could use and just slide the stitches through to the other side. This worked much better and I proceeded to knit away on my sock.

As I got near the length of my first sock (these are toe-up socks), I realized I still had a lot of yarn left. Being the clever person I am, I had used a scale to weigh my yarn as I knit the first sock and was supposed to stop when the unused yarn was 2 oz. Very clever, if you used the scale right. Not so clever, if you don't. Well, I must of done the later.

I decided to knit the 2nd sock to the same length of the first sock and then proceeded to make to even sized balls of yarn with the remaining yarn. I had to cut my yarn using the mechanical pencil, since I didn't have any scissors. I knit the 2nd sock even longer, then did the 10 rows for the cuff, but once again, still had way too much yarn. By then, I called it quits. We were landing in Kauai!

More to come.......

No comments: