Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Getting Ready for a Sock-along with Diva Knitting

So, as I mentioned earlier, I'm going to be doing my first sock-along, with the Diva Knitting Podcast group on Ravelry. This is going to be a Toe-up sock-along and it just so happens that I've been studying up on a few toe-up patterns and was leaning towards the Toe-Up Jaywalkers pattern by Natalia Knits. It's a variation on a very popular pattern called Jaywalkers, that I've been hearing about frequently on Stash and Burn and it's one of the first patterns you see when your on the log-on page at Ravelry.

Reading through the Toe-up version, Natalia leaves the type of cast-on and heel up to the knitter. It just so happens that Cheryl's Diva Knits Podcast goes over several cast-on options and will be going over heel variations. She talks you through the Magic Cast-On, which I'd like to try. She also goes over the short row heel, which is what I used on the Boyfriend socks.

Now, for the yarn. I'm using sock yarn I recently purchased from Maui Yarns to commemorate my wonderful vacation in Hawaii. The yarn is a Hand Dyed 100% Superwash Merino Wool. The color is called Ripe Pineapple, and is 100G/440 yds. It's considered a light fingering weight yarn (7-10 Sts. on US 1-3).




To get ready, the first thing I did was turn the hank into 2 separate balls of yarn, using a scale to hopefully get two same size balls. Did that this afternoon, after work.

Next step is to get a gauge, which I hope will be done tomorrow while I'm at work. Once I get the gauge, I'll figure out the proper numbers on casting on, etc.

Lastly, I've was teaching 5th and 6th graders to knit at work (my kids school) today. I'm teaching them to "pick", since it seems to be a faster technique. It was a lot of fun and, somehow, I've even started teaching a student to crochet, though, I'm not so good at crocheting but I can at least get her started. I suggested she get on the internet and look-up crocheting patterns.

The scarf is done, and the Diva Cap brim is also almost done, but I'm going to finish it at work so the kids can see how to bind off.

No comments: