Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SAL-Starting heel tonight


Okay, starting with a confession. I did not do a gauge like I'd planned when I blogged last time. I went ahead and started with size 1 needles and quickly realized the toe was going to be too small. The yarn I'm using is a light fingering weight yarn. Ran out and bought a set of #2-40" addi lace Turbo Lace needles at the LYS, plus another skein of the Rabbit Ridge Camo for my SIL's fetchings, hopefully, to be started soon. Spied some yarn that I'd like to use for another project I'd heard about listening to Stash and Burn. More on that another time.

So, got started using the Magic Cast-on. Very easy and I like the results a lot. I've been knitting the sock at work and I ended up knitting too much and had to frog about 2 inches of it so I could start the gusset. Following the pattern, it seemed the sock was getting too long before the heel, so I changed the pattern slightly, by adding stitches every row after the first 8 (16 rows) following the pattern. I'm know doing the heel, using a short-row heel, instead of the heel in pattern and I'm crossing my fingers the sock will not be too big. If so, I can frog back to the start of the gusset and do the adding of stitches on every row.

Other news, I have some very eager knitters at school. A couple are crocheting, but I've taught a few to knit and a couple are know doing a decent purl. I'm hoping to have them knitting hats in the round by the end of the year. Just need the right needles for them. I think a few would be able to purchase circulars, themselves, but not sure if that is the case for the whole group. I think I might have some non-turbo's I could donate. Or maybe even DPN's they could use. Now that I'm doing Magic Loop, I think I might not have quite the need for them.

Well, it's a beautiful, sunny day. It's 7:30 and still gorgeous out. I think we may have even gotten over 60 degrees today. Hooray! I did hear chance of snow on Thursday, but it's really hard to believe it.

No comments: