Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sweater Saga-Part 2 with Happy Ending or Hooray for Blocking!


The sun decided to come out today and it's a bright beautiful March day. The snow from yesterday is rapidly melting away and I have some good news. My sweater now fits! I didn't lose weight (that would be more good news) or get shorter. What I did was block my sweater. The first picture is pre-blocking.

The second is post-blocking in the same pair of pants , plus my Ipod playing the podcast "Stash and Burn", which I'm enjoying immensely. They live in San Francisco and shared they're favorite LYS on their first podcast and I now have another reason to go to "the city" when I head south to visit the family.

I've been reading some of Yarn Harlot's book "The Secret Life of a Knitter", and one of the first stories in her book is about a sweater saga. As I read along and got to the part about her blocking the sweater and the sweater growing huge, I realized, that though it was a disaster for Stephanie and her friend, it could help me fix my sweater. She mentions many times about how important blocking is. The thought of dunking my project in water made me nervous but the yarn I've used is a high quality 100% Merino, so I needed to get over my fears and just do it. I am so glad I did! Thank you Yarn Harlot for giving me the courage to block.

The pattern I used is from Berroco and is called Camille.

No comments: