Sunday, March 2, 2008

So Many Choices on a Sunny Saturday






This Saturday was one of those "this is why I live in Alaska" days. The sun was out, the sky was pretty clear (Jackie Purcell would call it "mostly sunny"). We had so many choices on what to do. The Ski for Kids, Iditarod Ceremonial Start, Alyeska to go skiing, or head up to the Glen Alps to check-out the snow caves our cubscout pack built and do some sledding. The kids decided they didn't want to do the Ski for Kids despite how much fun they've had the past few years. I'm the Iditarod geek at the house and usually run out to my favorite spot to watch, either dragging the kids with me or going solo.

Alyeska sounded good to me, because my plan was to knit at the lodge while they all skied. I'm semi-retired from skiing due to the fact I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and now sport 5 titianium screws in my left arm. When your Doctor tells you, "Yes, you can do all the things you were doing before, just don't have a bad crash", it kind of turns you into a major chicken. If your wondering, yes, I could knit very soon after surgery. Knit a vest for my youngest while I was recovering. He's outgrown it, but I'm keeping it as a reminder. Okay, that probably isn't what you were wondering, I had a tumor in the head of my humorous, probably there since I was very young, and it wasn't until a few years ago that it was big enough to start causing me problems. Weird, I figured it was from either lugging babies around in heavy carseats or from my many various mtn bike or skiing crashes. Nope!













So,finally, after watching some of the Iditarod on the ol'tellie, we headed up to the Glen Alps and played in the Winter Wonderland. Bud and Ian did some snowshoeing and then all my boys decided to sled a bit. We also got to watch young men skiing off some ramps they'd built in the side of one of the hills. Pretty cool stuff.


My dogs, Betty and Arlo, had a great time too. It was real cute watch Arlo follow Bud along while he snowshoed. They used to go out quite a bit together last year, but this year Bud hasn't done too much snowshoeing. Arlo fell right into place. As for Betty, she just loves the deep snow and was running all over, jumping in head first and tunneling threw, always making sure I was in sight. What a fun day it turned out to be, and my cheeks may even of gotten a little sun.

1 comment:

Arctic Knitter said...

Looks like it was a fun day. The Ski 4 Kids was fun - but w/a crazy wind chill, so it was cold, cold, cold. I think you made the right choice!