Sunday, March 16, 2008

Overconfident Knitting Get's Me Every Time

I've been working on the Boyfriend Socks today, while listening to a podcast (The Meandering Mouse) and ended up getting a little to confident with the cable pattern and had a major mistake in the pattern. I don't know why I do this so often. Urgh! The pattern is made up of 2 6 row cable patterns, each of with is repeated a total of 3 times and then switched. Well, I was 6 rows into the 2nd pattern before I realized I hadn't made the changes to the pattern required. I had to decide if I should: a. frog it back six rows, or b. switch the stitches that should of been purls and the ones that should be knit in the 18 stitches,in 6 rows, I messed up. I decided to do b. I don't think b. ended up being any quicker to use as a fix, though.



Here's a few pictures from around 50 ft up at our house. My husband noticed that our street light was acting up the other night and since he works at the local utility and one of his jobs is to change out street lights, he changed ours. Had him bring a camera with him and take a few pictures. The first is obvious, the 2nd is of our backyard. Notice the lack of sun in our yard between all the trees, we have too many trees and will be cutting a few down this summer. The 3rd reconfirms what I suspected, there is a view of the Chugach mountains from my house, it just requires me to jack the house up another 20-30 feet or knock down all the neighbors homes and trees to the east of us. I'll be sure to put that on Bud's Honey-do list.

Spring break is over for kids in Alaska and it is starting to really feel like Spring is right around the corner. We are gaining light very noticeably and are having a hard time getting into evening mode. The time change last week didn't make it any easier with time "Springing Forward" an hour. We've been staying up way to late all week. Hoping it will be an easier night tonight, as school/work starts up again tomorrow. Sunrise today was at 8:11am (not too bad), sunset was at 8:05pm. We gained 5 minutes and 44 seconds of daylight.

I don't have pictures but Bud took both his motorcycles for a ride up and down our street this weekend. I'm sure the neighbors must of been giggling. There is still icy patches on all the roads, so Bud really only went up and down the center of our street, carefully turning around without hitting any ice. He's just dying to hit the roads. No, I don't ride with him. Too hard to knit and ride.

So, I've become seriously addicted to Knitting Podcasts and one that has to do with Disneyland. I'm currently downloading several of these Podcasts from their begining episodes from Itunes, and plan on listening to them while I'm in Kauai later this week. It will be the first time the boys and I have gone to Hawaii and we're really looking forward to it. Bud's staying home with the dogs and we're planning another trip including him within the next 7-8 months. The boys and I are meeting up with my brother and his family and we're all sharing a house together. For some reason, having 5 kids all in the same house for 10 days, didn't sound like a vacation to Bud and he decided to pass.

So the Knitting Podcasts I'm currently listening to are Sticks and String with David Reidy in Australia, (you can usually hear his kitty playing with a toy in the background, how cute is that), LimenViolet, Stash and Burn (from San Francisco), Belle of the Ball, Diva Knitting (another Diva, how could I resist), Knitting Rose, and Knit Obsessions with zknits . I, honestly, haven't had a chance to listen to a few of these, but I'm sure I will find time in Kauai to do so.

Stash and Burn, is from two ladies, Jen and Nicole, who are trying to use up most of their stashes. I really enjoy this one almost as much as David's Sticks and String. These two ladies have made me feel so much better about my yarn stash and have actually given me a few ideas for mine. Ravelry also helps with ideas for your stashed yarn and I've seen some great ideas with all the yarns I've put in my stash on Ravelry. I heart Ravelry!

No comments: