Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Few Stories from this Week-Knitting & Non-Knitting

I haven't posted in a while so here's a few stories from this week, knitting and non-knitting related.

Here's the sock update. One of the advantages to knitting a toe-up sock is, if your using one skein per sock, you can knit until your about to run out of a skein and not have "left-overs". However, I'm knitting my toe-up socks with a single 400yd, 4 oz skein of yarn. I decided to weigh my yarn as I knit to determine when to stop on my first sock and just happed to have a postal scale at home that we use for the boys Pinewood derby cars.

So, I'm knitting away on the top part of my sock, weighing the skein along the way, when I realize, I hadn't zero'd in the scale. A very amateur mistake. I should of known better, as I'd been a science major in college and was constantly using scales in my chemistry classes. Duh! Turns out the scale was almost a half ounce off. I really like the length of my first sock and can only hope that the second sock will be able to be the same length.

All that I have left on the first sock, is to bind off using a binding technique that is new to me. Wish me luck!



The boys had their Pinewood Derby Thursday night and ended up racing each other in the semi-finals. Vince ended up winning, after 2 ties and a restart after Ian's car had jumped off the track. Vince's ended making it to the finals, but lost to a very fast car built by a Tigercub (first grade cubscout). Vince and Ian,both, will be able to move on to the city wide Scout-o-rama in April. Ian's car was inspired by both Ferrari's and Nascar(yeehaw). Vince's car was inspired by the movie World's Fastest Indian, which is a family favorite here.













Another tidbit of exciting news is that Bud (DH) is going to be on an episode of Most Dangerous Jobs (I think this is the show's title) on the Discovery Channel. Bud and several other Power-lineman were filmed climbing the 120 ft. towers down on the Seward Highway, just before you get to Girdwood. He had help put 20 ft. extentions on them 9 years ago when the road was moved and the towers were too low, so he was pretty comfortable climbing them again. He said the film crew would have them climb a little ways and have them stop, then ask them to climb some more. Bud decided to walk across the top about half way, for the cameras. Hamming it up line-man style. I'd prefer if he'd just wave, but not as exciting. We'll know in a few weeks about when this will be aired on tv.

Our front yard snow cave has collapsed. The boys and I thought it was because of the warmer weather, but turns out that the city snowplows, plowed some more (not sure why) and pushed the snow up farther in our yard causing the collapses. Bummer!





Last bit of news. I received all 4 skeins of yarn, quickly, from the seller on Ebay. Looking forward to using them in the very near future. Should all make some interesting socks. I'll be adding them to my Ravelry stash soon. The first yarn pictured has 10% cashmere and the last has silk. Both are very soft yarns. The middle two are merino blends and almost as soft.

No comments: