Thursday, July 17, 2008

Proud Parenting Moment


Yep, that's my son, Ian, kissing a giant Banana Slug. I'm so proud of him. It's sort of a tradition that a kid should either lick or kiss a banana slug when they're at camp. Since we were just visiting Memorial Park, a redwood forest in Northern California south of San Francisco, I suggest both boys continue this tradition. And, while Vince was absolutely fearless about holding that slimy slug, he passed on the kiss or lick.
I'm not kidding about the slimy part. Soap and water didn't do the trick after holding that Banana size slug. It took several good wipes on the pants to get the slime off. I'd like to see Nickolodeon use Banana Slug slime instead of that green watery gook they use.














I was so glad we'd found that gianormous slug, because the boys thought I'd been exagerating about how big banana slugs can get. In fact, we were able to find quite a few "baby" size ones before Ian actually found the giant. I kept telling the kiddo's that these were just too small, and we need to keep looking. Ian actually kissed this little guy earlier, but I told him it was too small too count. I'm such a meanie.









So, the other thing giant in Memorial Park, is of course the Redwood trees. I think they are one of my favorite trees. Them and the classic Oak Trees that are all over the foothills of California. Enjoyed sitting in the shade under a few of those later in the week. More stories about California to come later.

No comments: