Sunday, June 29, 2008

Shelfari-Another Knitting Distraction


So, I finished the first of my SIL's gloves the other day. They really are a quick knit, it just requires me to actually knit for a few hours to finish one.

Well, right now my currently distraction is a website called Shelfari. I found it while looking at my knitting friend, Heather's Blog The Wandering Stitch. She's currently on a family road trip driving from Anchorage to
California and I've been enjoying reading about their trip. Thanks Heather. Another avenue for one of my addictions.

Anyway, I noticed a cool book shelf feature on her blog and I clicked on it. Turn's out it's kind of a Ravelry group for book readers. Next think you know, I've spent several hours adding books to it that I've read, added a few reviews, listed all the books I own that I haven't read yet and, basically, found another distraction to not knit.

It's been fun to see how many books I've read, though this list is far from complete still. Also, it's been interesting to see how my taste in books have changed over the years. There was the fantasy book phase during High School, required reading books in H.S. and College, the science fiction phase right after I graduated from High School, the Steven King phase in College, adventure/travel books when I moved here, in the early 90's, and then all the books that I think of as kind of life lesson/Oprah/book club style books. Then there's all the impulse shopping books that I've bought through the years, thinking I would have time to read them.

Since I've been knitting more lately, I've had less time to read. In fact, I've been doing audio books for the last few book club books.

In order to get myself to finish these gloves, I'm going to say right now that I will be focusing on them tonight and will have them finished by tomorrow evening. That would be by Monday evening, June 30th. I've typed it so I have to do it.

And, hopefully, you are now looking at a cool bookshelf on the side bar with my favorite books on it.

No comments: