Sunday, June 22, 2008

Remembering Where You're At: Procrastination Recovery


This rainy weekend, I've found time to get back on step with my knitting projects. We leave in 10 days to see the relatives in CA, so I need to get my sister-inlaw's fingerless gloves done.

This required me to round up the project bag that I'd been ignoring all week, like it was a stack of bills, I like to call my denial pile. When I finally opened up the bag, I realized that I had no idea what row I'd stopped at or what pattern I was using.

Figured out that I had stopped after just completing the cuff, and that I had stopped because I couldn't focus on what or how to continue, since it's a pattern I'm making to match the Newsboy Cap from Stitch and Bitch Nation. I had cast-on 40 stitches and I'm doing the cable pattern on the back of the hand on a total of 16 stitches. With some adjustments, I've been able to make a pattern that should work.

And, just to cover my ass, in case I get distracted or decided to make another set, I've actually taken the time to type this pattern up on the computer, instead of writing it on a random piece of paper found laying around the house. The pattern I made for the cabled hat that goes with the Cashmere Cabled Scarf, is written on the back of a birthday invitation for one of my kids. Another pattern I have is written on a magazine subscription card I pulled out of Outside Magazine.


Other big news around here, and another big reason I have time to knit, is that my youngest son, Ian (age 8) broke his arm Friday evening. The family spent Friday night at the emergency room, while Ian had xrays, his arm set, and then getting his splint put on. Tomorrow (Monday), he'll be going to an Ortho SX to get a cast on and see what he can and can't do for the rest of summer. He has soccer camps, a trip to CA, and a cub scout camp that were all in his summer plans. I've heard that he might be able to get a "swim cast" for our trip to CA, but seriously wonder how he'll be able to play soccer with a cast over his elbow. He'll be real bummed about soccer and swimming, if they're out of the picture.

How'd it happen? Well, Ian was trying to grab the rim of a basketball net by jumping from a plastic milk crate. He missed and landed on him arm. Broke both bones in his forearm. It didn't take xrays to see that it was broken. If you've seen Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets, then you've seen what Ian's are looks like. Ian's are had a creepy dip in it like when Harry's arm goes boneless after Professor Lockhart tries to fix Harry's broken arm. I'll post a picture at the bottom of the page.

Ian has been a very good sport through all of this and is feeling well enough today to try and kick a soccer ball around the living room with his brother, which I quickly put a stop to!


1 comment:

Arctic Knitter said...

Owww! Please tell Ian that Orion says Hi & that his arm gets better soon. Be ready - it's hot down here!