Friday, January 16, 2009

It's Wintering All Across The Nation




This was my first flight all the way across the Lower 48. And, I was very surprised to see the landscape all the way across the country covered in snow.




Chicago (the last photo) was -1 degrees today. It took a few minutes for me to realize I was looking at Lake Michigan and not more snow covered land.

Its so nice to see Anchorage isn't the only place Wintering, even if they're doing it just for a little while.

I also found the landscape changes real fascinating. From the Cascades to the Rockies, then the flat Heartland, or as my governor likes to call it "Real America", and then comes the hills of the Appalachians, which compared to the flatness of the plains, looked like the wrinkles on the face of a long time California/Florida sun worshiper's face and then the Ridges that occur just before we hit DC. These ridges looked like a deflated accordion.

As we flew over Virginia, I could almost imagine the battles for our freedoms that occurred on these lands. Then we were over DC and seeing the Mall as we came in was just amazing to see. So much history here on this coast. Just over whelming for this West Coast girl. No pictures of this though, because you're not allowed to have any electronics out while landing and Vince caught me trying to take my camera out. Also, if you get out of your seat during the landing process you could be considered a security risk.

We have old building in California, but they're history is Spanish/Mexican history.

Tomorrow we're off to the Library of Congress, Union Square for lunch and then who knows what else. I'm sure I'll have pictures of the Mall today.

No comments: