Sunday, February 15, 2009

Shared Knitting and New Friends



A couple weekends ago, I found myself waiting for my sons to finish up with Junior Nordic and I was without a knitting project. I noticed a woman knitting and made a comment about forgetting mine. To which she offered me an extra knitting project of hers to knit. Normally I would thank someone and decline, but that day I was feeling adventurous and went for it.

We started talking and it turns out that we had much in common, besides knitting. We both are bikers (mtn bikers) and have a mutual friend, Rose. Her child went to the same elementary school as mine are attending. She is the maker of some beautiful quilts that were used at our school as fundraisers for Malawi Village School and the cards I used for thank you's were made by her.

The knitting project I worked on was a lot of fun and, my new friend, Tina, emailed me the pattern so I could start knitting one myself. The pattern is the Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf by Karen Baumer. If you're signed up for Ravelry here's a link to some finished scarfs.



I'm using Noro Silk Garden which is a joy to knit with. I've silk blends a few times and each time I've really enjoyed how it feels on the needles. Maybe it's the slight elasticity the yarn has. My only concern is that I occasionally find a grass fiber in the yarn that I pull out.

I find this pattern to be an easy "take along" project. It's difficult to lose your place, and, therefore, can be stopped at any point with no fear of where you left off.

Because of my new friend, Tina, I've decided to always carry a second project with me so I can "pay it forward" and, maybe, make more new friend in the process.

No comments: